9th Sunday after Pentecost
July 25, 2021
Come with Me, and Get some Rest
1) Jesus gives us rest for our body.
a. The apostles enthusiastically reported their work.
b. Due to the crowd Jesus invited them to rest.
* Is your life out of balance? Make time to rest with Jesus.
2) Jesus gives us rest for our soul.
a. The people were restless – like sheep without a shepherd.
b. The Good Shepherd taught them His truth to calm their souls.
* Are you living like a wandering sheep? Come to Jesus for rest!
8th Sunday after Pentecost
July 18, 2021
Christ Sends Us on the Mission Trip of Life
1) He sends us together.
a. Jesus sent the apostles out two-by-two.
b. Jesus sends us out with the support of fellow believers – in worship, study, and fellowship.
2) He provides for us on the journey.
a. Jesus send His disciples out with no provision except trusting in Him.
b. Jesus sends us out with His Word of promise to provide for us.
3) He tells us to expect rejection by some.
a. Jesus encouraged His disciples not to let rejection stop them.
b. Jesus teaches us to continue to speak and live for Him, regardless of rejection.
4) He promises to bless us and others through His word.
a. Jesus blessed the apostles' preaching and teaching.
b. Jesus blesses us in our faith by His gospel, and he will bless our witness.
7th Sunday after Pentecost
July 11, 2021
What Is the Biggest Scandal in the Church?
1) Will we reject Him in Unbelief?
a. Nazareth wondered where He got His wisdom.
b. Nazareth rejected Him in unbelief.
* By nature we are all “scandalized” by Jesus. What temptations do we face to reject Jesus because He seems too lowly or too ordinary for us?
2) Will we welcome him as our Saviour?
a. He didn't force Nazareth to welcome Him.
b. Their rejection didn't prevent him from carrying out His mission to die for the sins of the world.
6th Sunday after Pentecost
July 4, 2021
View Christ's Power over Death.
Don't Fear! Just Believe!
1) Come to Jesus in Humility.
a. Jairus came as an unworthy sinner seeking mercy.
b. Come like Jairus, for God gives grace to the humble.
* Jesus does promise to hear and answer all our prayers, so come to Him in humble faith, confident He will hear and answer all your needs!
2) Come to Jesus in faith.
a. When Jairus' daughter was dead, Jesus invited, “Believe!”
b. Jesus raised Jairus' daughter, a foreshadowing of our own resurrection.
* Jesus' miracles are written that we may believe in Him and by believing have eternal life. He is the Resurrection and the Life.
5th Sunday after Pentecost
June 27, 2021
Jesus Is Our Storm-Stiller!
1) He stills the storms in our life.
a. An unexpected storm and a fearful response.
b. With His Word the Son of God stilled the storm.
* Jesus allows us to go through life's storms, so we learn to depend on Him.
2) He stills the storms in our hearts.
a. In weakness of faith the disciples accused, “Don't you care?”
b. In living care Jesus called them to believe.
* When you wonder, “Lord, do you care?” remember what He did to save you eternally. He cares for you.
4th Sunday after Pentecost
June 20, 2021
Jesus, how does your kingdom grow?
1) By the Spirit's power through the seed of the Word.
a. God's kingdom (ruling activity) doesn't grow by human power.
b. It is like a man sowing a seed (the Word of God).
c. The seed germinates and grows by the Spirit's power.
* Only the Holy Spirit can convince people of sin and convince the Jesus is their Savior. Thank God He has given us this faith.
2) By the Spirit's power throughout the word.
a. It started small and “insignificant.”
b. It grows powerfully in the world and in you.
* Continue to hear God's word – His kingdom will grow in our families and through the role of Christian fathers.
3rd Sunday after Pentecost
June 13, 2021
Who Are the Real Members of Jesus' Eternal Family?
1) Not those who reject Jesus, despite their religious affiliation.
a. The teachers of the law accused Jesus of working by Satan's power.
b. Jesus demonstrated He had come to overcome Satan's power.
c. Jesus warns of those who self-righteously resist the Holy Spirit.
* Do you worry you may have committed the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit? If you are concerned about it, the Holy Spirit is working in your heart! Those who believe in Jesus shall be saved! By the Holy Spirit's power we share in Christ's victory forever!
2) All who do God's will by faith in Jesus are members of His eternal family.
a. Jesus pointed out His mother and brothers are those who do God's will.
b. God's will is first of all to trust in Jesus as your Savior.
c. That faith is the power to also transform our lives to do follow God's commands.
* Some may accuse you of “being out of your mind” for trusting Jesus. By faith in Him, however, you have the blessing of God's love now and forever as a member of Jesus' family!
Second Sunday after Pentecost
June 6, 2021
Enjoy Your Sabbath Rest
1) In true worship.
a. Jesus' enemies accused Him of breaking the Sabbath.
b. Jesus teaches that true Sabbath “rest” is in Him.
2) In rest for the soul.
a. True worship is “in Spirit and in truth.”
b. True Sabbath “rest” comes through faith in the gospel.
* Where else would you rather be when the hour of worship arrives than together with your fellow believers worshipping the Lord? Enjoy your Sabbath rest now in worship, and at the end of our lives we'll enjoy the Sabbath rest forever in heaven!
May 30, 2021
God So Loved ...
1) The World (The love of the Father).
a. God revealed His love through the Old Testament.
b. Nicodemus was missing that love in a religion of law.
* The world is full of people misled by their feelings or natural religion. We need God's revelation to know His love and life.
2) That He gave His one and only Son (The Love of the Son).
a. Born of flesh, we could never come up to God.
b. Born of a woman, God came to us in His Son.
3) That whoever believes in him has eternal life (the Love of the Holy Spirit).
a. We need a rebirth. How?
b. The Holy spirit gives us a rebirth through Word and Sacrament.
* In a loveless world, we know God's love by faith in Jesus.
May 23, 2021
1) The Holy Spirit has brought us light!
a. Christ had counselled and taught the apostles during His earthly ministry.
b. On Pentecost the Holy Spirit taught and enlightened them to see meaning of all Jesus did to save us.
* The light still shines on us through the Word and Sacrament. The Holy Spirit gives us faith and keeps us in faith!
2) The Holy Spirit has brought us Peace!
a. We are by nature restless, without peace.
b. The Holy Spirit gives us the peace Christ won by given us faith in Him for forgiveness.
* On Pentecost the Holy Spirit gave 3,000 people peace. By God's grace, He has also given us peace through the gospel in Word and Sacrament. Celebrate Pentecost – share the peace!
7th Sunday of Easter
May 16, 2021
Our Ascended Saviour Prays for Us.
1) That God's will protect us from evil.
a. Jesus died, rose, and ascended to rescue us from evil.
b. The Evil One tries to destroy us.
c. God's Word protects us.
* Treasure the Bible and its life-giving power.
2) That God's Word will consecrate us to serve Him.
a. God's plan for our lives isn't some type of sanctified “escapism”.
b. He sends us to the world with His Word.
* When we are tempted to think Christ abandoned us, keep on reading His love letter to you.
May 12, 2021
Jesus Ascension Keeps Our Focus on Heaven!
6th Sunday of Easter,
May 9, 2021
Christian, Live a Joyful Life!
1) As you know Christ's love.
a. Jesus loves you as the Father loves Him.
b. Jesus laid down His life for you.
* Remain in His love as He gives you His Holy Spirit by the gospel.
2) As you show Christ's love.
a. Obey (Keep, observe, pay attention to) His commands (authoritative directions or instructions).
b. Love each other.
* When we live in God's love, we will bring His blessings to others. Can you think of a more joyful way of living? Through His love Christ will also bring joy to the family.
5th Sunday of Easter
May 2, 2021
The Fruitful Branch Remains in Christ.
1) To receive His strength for fruitful living.
a. Like a branches to a vine, we're united to Jesus for our life.
b. We cannot “bear fruit” unless we're connected to Jesus.
c. We bear the fruit of spiritual character.
d. Jesus warns us about the Gardener's plan for the unfruitful vines!
* Only the power of the Holy Spirit working in God's Word and Sacrament can keep us united to faith. Continue in the Word, and you won't have to worry about how your life will turn out. You will bear much fruit!
2) To be pruned to bear even more fruit.
a. When you are hurting, remember God prunes us to make us more fruitful.
b. Pruning is painful, but the Lord prunes us for our best.
c. When Jesus' Word is in us, we will pray according to His will that we bear fruit to the Father's glory.
* How do you want to be remembered? Do you want our life to matter? May our gracious Father be glorified in us and through us as we bear much fruit!
4th Sunday of Easter
April 25, 2021
Aren't you thankful to live under the Good Shepherd's Care?
1) He laid down His life for you.
a. We were sheep going astray.
b. He laid down His life and took it up again to give us eternal life.
2) He leads you.
a. He knows us and we can trust Him.
b. We know Him through His Word and Sacrament.
3) He uses you to gather others to His loving care.
a. He gathered us, and He uses us to gather others.
b. He sends pastors, teachers and staff ministers to gather and nurture His sheep.
* If you had a cure for Covid, would you keep it to yourself? You have the cure for death – eternal death – the gospel news of Jesus! In a world filled with fear of disease and death, you can share the eternal cure and demonstrate the true value of life.
3rd Sunday of Easter
April 18, 2021
Live with Resurrection Faith
1) Live free from fear.
a. Fear troubled the disciples.
b. Fear may trouble us.
* Jesus lives to silence all our fears!
2) Live with an “opened” mind.
a. Jesus opened His disciples' mind.
b. Jesus based their faith and life on Holy Scriptures.
* By faith in the risen Saviour Jesus we're free to live with an opened mind – opened by Jesus through the Holy Scripture to know God's love through Christ and to live in love according to His Word!
2nd Sunday of Easter
April 11, 2021
Stop Doubting, and Believe!
1) Believe that through Jesus you have joy and peace.
a. Jesus brought the disciples joy.
b. Jesus brings us joy with His promise.
c. How do we try to find peace? Deny sin? Blame others? Deliberately sin to get over feeling guilty?
d. Jesus brings us peace.
e. Jesus is our peace in the storms of life and in death!
2) Believe that through Jesus you have eternal life.
a. Thomas doubted Jesus was alive.
b. Jesus convinced Thomas He is the risen Lord.
c. Jesus still comes to us to give us faith and life
* By grace through faith we have life to live in Jesus name – sharing His love now; existing in heaven when we die; in resurrection glory when Jesus' returns.
Easter Sermon, 11 AM
April 4, 2021
What is the Greatest Fact of History? Christ is Risen!
1) The angel's announcement is true!
a. The women came to anoint Jesus' dead body.
b. The angel and the empty tomb assured the Christ is risen!
* To answer the skeptic, simply ask, “Where is the body?” Would the Jews have stolen it? Would the disciples have stolen it? Would the disciples have invented a lie? No! Christ is risen!
2) The risen Christ gives us eternal life!
a. The first followers of Christ liven that new life.
b. We live that new life now in faith and hope.
* In this troubled life, Christ's resurrection gives us comfort and strength. By faith we have the eternally long view of life – we shall be with the Lord forever in glory!
lory! (Romans 8:28, 2 Cor, 4:17)